Dear Lee High families,
It is my privilege, on behalf of the Lee High faculty and staff, to welcome you to our school as we look forward to our first day of classes on Tuesday, August 8th. We have been working hard to prepare for the coming year, and we cannot wait for our students to arrive!
Lee High School has a proud tradition of excellence and is a wonderful school with outstanding students, faculty, and staff members. I look forward to partnering with all to build upon the many strengths in our school-community. Lee High can be one of the most outstanding schools in our Commonwealth – a school in which every student feels connected, supported and valued; a school in which every student finds multiple opportunities to excel; a school in which all students take ownership of their learning and their future; and a school from which every student graduates ready to pursue their pathway to future success.
Realizing this vision for our students requires strong partnerships among students, families, teachers, administrators and other school and community professionals. I look forward to meeting you all in the coming weeks and to building strong relationships within our school and community. Enclosed with this letter, please find a publication from the National Education Association entitled, A Parent’s Guide to Helping Your Teen Get the Most Out of High School. All of us at Lee High are committed to helping every student develop those skills necessary for success after school – critical thinking, creativity, communication, collaboration, and civic engagement – in addition to developing strong academic skills and knowledge. By working in partnership with parents, guardians, and families, we can help our students take ownership of, and responsibility for, their learning and help them develop goals for the future, as well as the skills necessary to attain their goals. We look forward to partnering with you in this endeavor!
As the first day of classes on August 8th approaches, we would like to share with you a few dates and notes of interest:
- Registration – families can pick up student schedules and pay necessary fees in the Lee High Main Office, beginning Monday, July 31st through Friday, August 4th, from 8:00 am til 3:00 pm, daily. The schedule of fees, as well as school breakfast and lunch prices, for Staunton City Schools is enclosed for your reference. Please note that student schedules will be considered final at this time. If you have a question about your student’s schedule, please contact your student’s School Counselor.
- Parent Portal – we expect the Powerschool Parent Portal to open for 2017-2018 on Monday, July 31st. At that time you will be able to view student schedules for the coming year. If you need assistance with Parent Portal, please look for information on the Staunton City Schools webpage, or call the Lee High Main Office at 540.332.3296.
- Open House – We invite all students and families to join us on Wednesday, August 2nd:
- 4:30 pm – 9th grade orientation beginning in the Auditorium
- 5:30 pm – hot dog dinner and information for 9th graders and their parents and guardians
- 6:15 pm – upper class students and parents arrive for general information session in the Auditorium
- 6:30 pm – Open House – please visit classes and meet teachers
- Many of our student organizations, programs, and teams will have information tables for you to visit – find a positive activity in which to get involved!
Lee High offers a broad range of student organizations, co-curricular activities, and Virginia High School League athletics and activities. We know that the more students are involved in school activities, the greater the likelihood they will experience academic success – encourage your student to get involved! If your student doesn’t find an activity or organization of interest at Lee High, and if they have an idea for a high quality student organization, I encourage them to talk to me about proposing a new club or activity – we want to be sure our school is inclusive of a broad range of student interests! Lee High also offers many opportunities for students to participate in leadership opportunities – it is important to me that our students have a strong voice in our school and that they develop strong leadership skills!
On the first day of school, your student will receive a Staunton City Schools Student Handbook, along with other important information. Please take time to review the handbook and information with your student.
Throughout the year, we will communicate important school events and information on a regular basis. Please check our Lee High School website regularly and like our Facebook page! You can also expect a Weekly Update from me via SchoolMessenger phone call and email most Sunday evenings, highlighting upcoming events and information. I also invite you to communicate directly with me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 540.332.3296. If you’re so inclined, you can also follow me on Twitter, @MrNateCollins or find my blog, The Collins Commentary, linked on our Lee High School webpage.
I look forward to the opportunity to serve you, our students, our faculty and staff, and our community. I am excited for the potential of all we can achieve at Lee High, and I look forward to meeting you all in the coming weeks. Best wishes for the remainder of your summer, and Let’s Go Lee!
Mr. Nate Collins